Connecting Community to Nature.
Encouraging the Practices of Conservation Principles.
Protecting Green Spaces.
What is a Monarch Waystation?
- Monarch Waystations are pollinator gardens that provide resources necessary for monarchs to produce successive generations and sustain their migration.
Why are we concerned?
- Like the honey bee, the Monarch butterfly is a pollinator that plays a vital role in the food chain for humans and other animals.
- Without pollinators, we'd have limited supply of fresh produce, which we rely on daily.
- The Monarch butterfly has experienced a large decrease in population due to extreme habitat loss by use of pesticides and herbicides in North America, which is a sign of a declining ecosystem.
What can you do to help?
- Eliminate use of pesticides and herbicides.
- Increase Monarch habitat by planting a garden.
- Include key survival plants for the monarch in your garden like milkweed, nectar plants for all seasons, sheltering plants or trees and a nearby water source.
- Visit our certified Monarch Waystation at Brookglen Community Center today!
- Interested in starting your own butterfly garden? Click here for the best tips and tricks!