Detect To Protect
A working smoke detector in every home.
What is a Fire Safety Visit?
As Fire Administration receives your registration information, you will be scheduled according to your indicated preference of day and time and your availa-bility at time of contact. LPFD will have our firefighters perform “Fire Safety Visits” to each of the registered addresses.
A Fire Safety Visit will include the following:
- Installation of smoke detectors, if necessary
- Replacement of smoke detector batteries, if necessary
- Advising of where you may consider placing additional smoke detectors
- Education on how and when to test smoke detectors, as well as when they should be replaced
- Education on what to do when a smoke alarm is heard going off
You should install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home.
When to change batteries and/or test smoke detector?
- Smoke alarm batteries should be changed twice a year. An easy way to remember this is to change the batteries at the same time that you change your clocks for Daylight Savings Time.
- You should test your smoke alarms on a monthly basis.
- Smoke alarms should be completely replaced every ten (10) years.
Smoke alarms save lives. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out. Having a working smoke alarm cuts the chances of dying in a reported fire in half. Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths re-sulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. Smoke alarm failures usually result from missing, disconnected, or dead batteries.
Schedule A Fire Safety Visit:
To set up an appointment for your fire safety visit fill out the form below or email the information below to email@example.com. You may also set up an appointment by calling (281) 471-3607, or coming to Fire Station 1, on 125 South 3rd Street in La Porte.